Who We Are and What We Do...
Our motto is Success for All!
The Leicestershire Virtual School is for all children and young people in care to Leicestershire County Council.
Did you know that there are over 300 young people in care in Leicestershire?
Your education is important and during your time in school and college you will develop knowledge, skills and understanding which you will need to build your successful future life.
You may already have some ideas about what you want to do when you leave school, college or university. Whatever you might want to do, your education will help you to achieve this!
Leicestershire: supporting your education and personal development
- Make sure you have a school place and access to education
- Make sure you go to the best school for your needs
- Make sure you are able to get to school
- Always try to make sure you do not have to change school in Years 6 or 11 except in exceptional circumstances
- Support you in learning to read and to enjoy reading
- Make sure you have a PEP (Personal Education Plan) meeting twice a year
- Make sure the Pupil Premium and PEA (Personal Education Allowance) are used to help improve your learning
- Make sure you are given the right sort of advice on careers or further education
- Encourage and support your Post-16 learning
- Expect and support your carer and social worker in taking an active role in your education
- Encourage you to have hobbies and attend out of school activities
The Virtual School has a team of Education Improvement Officers who are interested in how well you are getting on at school and will visit you in your schools and attend PEP meetings. The Virtual School also has 2 interim Managers or Virtual School Heads called Tony Barnard and Vicki Taylor. We ask your school Head Teacher to provide regular information about your progress and to make sure that you are getting the support you need to achieve your best. This means we can see how you are getting on and offer extra help when you need it.
Even though the Virtual School doesn't exist as a real school in a real building, we are real people. The team has several new members of staff and an updated picture will follow!
The Virtual Heads have a blog on this website - you can find it here. They will share what is happening at school for children in care. If you want to get in touch with Tony or Vicki then e-mail them on firstname.lastname@example.org
When you start school you will be told the name of the Designated Teacher for Children in Care. This person will:
- make sure you are doing as well as you can in school
- will speak with other teachers to make sure everything goes well at school
- be available for you to talk to about anything that concerns you
- help to sort out any problems you may have in school.
The Designated Teacher works with your social worker and the teachers at the Virtual School to make sure that everyone who needs to know is told about how well you are doing.
Because we care about what you all think about your learning, we will be running regular surveys to get your views, this will help us to improve your experiences and progress in education. It is important for you to say what you need to, but even more important that we act on what you tell us and use these to improve things.
School Surveys will happen regularly on topics which are important to you and often chosen by you too.
For example ...How can we improve PEPs? How could you be helped with homework?
What sort of things do you want to ask? Let us know.
Email your suggestions to: email@example.com