Throughout the year, the Leicestershire Virtual School arranges a wide variety of Participation activities which aim to inspire, excite, motivate, educate and stimulate the curiosity of children in care to Leicestershire.
You can see below a list of some of the events we organise regularly and a calendar of events planned for 2018. We may arrange other events aside from these, so watch and listen out for news on the website; in the Virtual School 'Fox News' newsletter; in the foster carer newsletter and in messages to carers by email or phone.
University Experience Days
At various times throughout the year, local universities offer a range of educational activities.
- Our Experience Days for Year 9 and 10 Children in Care take place at Loughborough University, and for Year 5 and 6 Children in Care at University of Leicester.
- We attend a short residential visit for years 8 and 9 at Leicester University in June. In 2017 it focused on the importance of studying languages at GCSE and how this will help with jobs and further / higher education options for young people. It was really successful and the children who attended were really inspired by it.
- The University Experience Summer School for young people aged 16-25 takes place over two days at the end of summer term at our three local universities: the University of Leicester, Loughborough University and De Montfort University. It is for those who want to experience university subjects and sample the social side of university life.
Summer 2018 - Heritage Detectives
For the summer 2018 holidays the Leicestershire Virtual School is working with Leicestershire's Museums to bring you History Detectives. Aimed at children and young people aged 5 to 12, this is a series of exciting, free and fun summer holiday events for Leicestershire children in care, siblings and carers. Please see the attached flyer for more information.
Other Participation Events
Our other events range from theatre visits and music workshops to sports and sailing.
- Theatre trips are often organised around set GCSE texts, so that as well as having the experience of seeing a live performance, you will receive a book that will support with your studies and act as a memento of the occasion. We will usually go to a Christmas production too; in 2017 it was 'Scrooge' at Curve Theatre, Leicester.
- Author events, usually for younger children, give you the chance to meet a published author who will talk about the inspirations behind their stories and help you to develop your own stories and characters within them.
- Music workshops give you the opportunity to develop your own musical skills, compose, arrange and record your own songs and learn to play a musical instrument.
- The Tall Ships trip is a reward activity for young people at the end of Year 11 who have really tried hard at school and worked to the best of their ability. The trip is a five-day residential spent on a catamaran, calling in at ports along the south coast of England and the Isle of Wight. As well as having great fun, you also gain a Level One sailing qualification and get the chance to return the following year as a senior member.
The Virtual School Youth Work team are busy organising events and activities for 2018. Here are just some of the things you can be involved in over the coming months:
Medicine, STEM & Arts & Humanities
• Arts, Humanities and Social Science
• Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM)
Choose one of the options above and experience university life, meet current students and spend 3 nights in student accommodation in the Oadby Student Village with fun activities planned each evening.
National Citizenship Service-runs over the summer for four weeks.
An exciting opportunity to meet, experience glamping, and get a taste of university life, followed by community projects and a celebration event.
Years 7+ (11-18 years)
Loughborough University Summer School
On the day there will be the opportunity to take part in an activity run by the award-winning Students' Union at Loughborough University, to try a taster session from one of their undergraduate degree subjects, build transferable skills required for successful studying and take part in one of the extra-curricular sports that take place in the world-class facilities on campus.
Free refreshments and goody bag!
Tall Ships residential trip
A once in a lifetime experience to reward young people for educational engagement, effort or attendance in KS4.
Young people will sail along the south coast and will have the chance to gain RYA Start Yachting award level 1 / 2
Years 9 and 10
University of Leicester Residential Summer School
An opportunity to experience student life and to stay in halls of residence.
Young people choose to focus on arts and humanities, STEM subjects or medicine. They take part in lots of practical activities to develop young people's interests.
Social events are arranged in the evenings.
Pedestrian music course
A fun opportunity to make music with new friends and to gain accreditation.
Welcome to Secondary day
One day event: a team building and adventure challenge at Beaumanor Hall involving high ropes and bridge building.
Meet your youth workers and find out about the Virtual School Team.
UCAS day at Leicester University
Year 12 - Students engage in opportunities aimed at increasing access to HE and learn about the benefits of HE.
Year 13 - Support for UCAS applications, writing personal statements and choosing universities
Anytime throughout the year
VIP University visits (DMU, Leicester University and Loughborough University)
VIP visits can be arranged for any individual who may be interested in a particular university or subject. Just speak to your EIO at your PEP and this can be organised.