What Support Can You Get in Secondary Education?

When you move school from Primary to Secondary School, or if you need to move part way through the year, the Virtual School Secondary team will make sure that the change goes as smoothly as possible. We will attend meetings and help to make plans to support you whatever that entails. Your PEP meetings will continue and the PEP document will continue to be very important to the planning of your education.

We will make sure that your school is aware of the need for confidentiality.

Wherever possible we will ensure that if you move placements you will stay at the same school.

Click on the boxes below for when and where we can help you during your time in secondary education.

General Support

The Virtual School will allocate an Education Improvement Officer to support you. They will attend some of your PEP meetings, make sure the PEP Actions are supportive and make sure that you are given the best opportunity of succeeding in your learning.

They will arrange out of school activities to support your education and will sometimes be able to organise one-to-one tuition sessions in school or at home.

You should have access to a computer at home. If you haven't, talk to your Social Worker about this.

To get the best out of your education you need to be in school every day.


Your school will be able to offer you advice, support and guidance about choosing your options and your Designated Teacher will also be able to help you with this.

Year 9

Choices? Options?

Yes, this is your chance to choose subjects you'd really like to do in years 10 and 11. Ok, so you'll have to take some exams, but the decisions and effort you make now could make a difference to the courses or training you apply for later, so - make sure you know when the Options Evenings are at school, tell your Carer and ask them to go the Information Evenings with you. Talk to your teachers, your Designated Teacher, your Virtual School Improvement Officer, look in the careers section of the school Library and your school should have someone who visits, or who is there all the time to give careers advice, so find out who it is so you have all the facts you need to be able to make informed choices

Be aspirational, everyone has hopes and dreams, turn yours into ambition!

Year 11

Most 16 and 17 year olds choose to carry on their education past Year 11, but everyone has to carry on with some kind of educational input or training until their 18th birthday, even if they are working.

Staying in education doesn't have to mean staying in school, and there are a number of options you can choose:

Your school should give you guidance and information on all of the options open to you. Talk to your teachers if you want some help to decide what's right for you. You can contact the National Careers Service for impartial advice at any time by visiting https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk.

You can also get advice from a trained adviser by contacting the helpline, which is open from 8.00am to 10pm, seven days a week on 0800 100 900, or for text messages on 07766 413 219.

Beyond Year 11

There is a range of support available to help you beyond Year 11. If you have not achieved grade 4 or above in both English and maths GCSE talk to your Social Worker to see if any extra help is available.

Your school can provide clear advice and guidance to help you to choose what to do after Year 11 and the Designated Teacher will help you with this.

Your college should be aware of the need to respect confidentiality.

Your designated Social Worker or Personal Advisor can provide lots of support post-16 and will be able to help you if you decide to go to university.

If you need further help with post-16 choices or if you go to school outside Leicestershire and want some support, email virtualschool@leics.gov.uk who will make sure someone contacts you to discuss these issues.