1. Skip to content

This is often called 'Kinship Care'...

Children go into care when they cannot live with their usual carers like mum or dad. When you are in care, you often go and live with a foster carer or in a residential children's home.

But before you go into care to be looked after by someone you don't know, we will see if there is someone in your family or among close family friends who can look after you. If there is then you might go and live with them. Some children and young people who are in care live with a relative or family friend who takes responsibility for looking after them. This is sometimes called kinship care. You will still have a Social Worker who will visit you regularly to make sure you are safe and happy.