Find out what things mean here.


This is short for Independent Reviewing Officer.

Key Stage

You might hear this phrase in school - and you might see things like KS2 and KS3 written on documents. A key stage is a set of year groups that you are in at a particular age at school. There are 4 key stages; Key Stage 1 is for 5-7 year olds and Key Stage 4 is for 14-16 year olds. You might hear about Key Stage 5 too, but this is more often referred to as 6th form.


This means a family relationship. Your kin are your relatives (uncle, auntie, granma etc.) Kinship Care means that you can live with a relative and also be supported by the council.

Legal Guardian

Someone who is responsible to look after a child or young person by law.

Leicestershire County Council

The Local Authority that is responsible for many of the local government services used by the residents of Leicestershire. This includes services for children who are in care.

Lump sum

When a lump of money is given one time.


Someone who checks online forums and chatrooms to make sure everyone sticks to the rules and is safe.

National Curriculum

The National Curriculum is what the government has set out for schools to teach. There are lots of national curriculum subjects including English, Maths and Science and the National Curriculum makes sure that everyone is educated to the same standard.


National Care Advisory Service, it's an organisation run by Catch 22 which is the main organisation that gives advice about young people making the move from care to adult life.

NEET - Not in Education, Employment or Training

An acronym to young people aged 16+ who are not in education, employed or training for work.

NVQ - National Vocational Qualification

A form of qualification that is based on working and work experience rather than sitting an exam.

Out of County Placements

Sometimes children need to be placed in a different county; this can be for their own safety, or because a suitable placement cannot be found in Leicestershire itself. If you are placed out of county you are still the responsibility of Leicestershire County Council and have all the same rights as a young person placed in Leicestershire.


This stands for Personal Education Allowance. It is a sum of money that can be used to fund 1:1 tuition in English and/or Maths. Your ECiC Teacher or Social Worker can apply for this on your behalf.


This is a doctor with a special qualification in looking after the health of children.

Parental Responsibility

The rights, duties and responsibilities that a parent has over their child by law. All mothers and most fathers have parental responsibility (PR for short) automatically, but it can be taken away and given to a Local Authority, or someone else by a court. If you don't know who has PR for you ask your social worker.

Pathway Plan

This is about your future and your hopes and plans for when you eventually leave care.


A Personal Education Plan. This sets out plans for your education and helps your carers, teachers and social workers to plan any special arrangements to help your learning.


To support or actively encourage something.

Residential Care

This is when you live in a home with other children in care and you are looked after by care workers - just think "Tracy Beaker".

Review Meeting

When you are in care we have to have meetings at certain points to check that things are going as they should be for you and that all the plans and decisions made for your care are the best they can be for you. These are called Review Meetings, sometimes LAC Reviews also ROA meetings. They are all the same and do the same.


This means Review of Arrangements and is the same thing as your Review Meeting.

SEN - Special Educational Needs

Special Educational Needs are articular problems or needs that get in the way of education and make learning difficult. If there are a number of concerns then you might get a statement of special educational needs.


Things which are stable don't wobble. Stability means having a place to live where you are happy and that you can rely on.

Statement / Being Statemented

A statement of special educational needs; it is sometimes called just 'a statement' is a document that outlines how much extra help you are entitled to at school and how many hours you can have of additional help or tuition; it also outlines how you will get the help you need.

Transitions / Transition Plans

Is a plan made for those who are 14+ and who have a disability or a special educational need - and it outlines what the local authority will do to support your transition from the end of education into the next phase of your life.