Do you know what you'd like to do when you finish secondary education?

Do you know who and where to go to for advice at different stages in your learning? Maybe you're not sure whether you'd like to stay on in your school sixth form , or go to a sixth form or further education college, or go into work based training? Maybe you don't know what you want to do tomorrow or next week, so why think about next year or the years after that? May be you think it doesn't matter because you already find learning hard, can't be bothered, so what's the point? Taking time to find out now, can save time and hassle later and with a bit of help and support you'll soon start to realise that you already have some brilliant ideas.

Click on the buttons below for more information about the choices available to you.

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are the answers to some common questions...

Q. What if I'm worried about English and Maths?

A. Tell your Carer, Designated Teacher and Virtual School Improvement Officer - our GCSE project will help.

Q. What if I find it hard to revise?

A. Tell your Carer, Designated Teacher and Virtual School Improvement Officer.

Q. What if I'm still learning English as Another Language?

A. Ask your Virtual School Improvement Officer to help you, we can make sure you're taking the right level courses.

Q. Where do I find out about finance, transport?

A. Ask about bursaries and travel passes at the colleges you visit.

Q. Can I get practical support in lessons and exams if I have a disability or learning difficulty?

A. Yes, speak to Student Support/Student Services/Accessibility/Welfare Advice at the colleges you visit. If you do an apprenticeship, employers must provide you with facilities and support as well.

Q. What if I don't get the right grades?

A. Talk to your Carer and Careers Adviser at school when you collect your results, still go to enrolment, all is not lost!

Thinking About Higher Education?

If you are thinking of going into Higher Education talk to your mentor if you have one, or talk to someone you know and trust who has been to Uni. Have a look at our HE section, check out the different sorts of qualifications you can use to get into Uni and go onto lots of University websites because they have loads of career information, guidance about finance and accommodation, and student views and opinions on University life and moving away from friends.

All sorts of qualifications you earn from the age of 16 to 18 years can be counted to get into University, if that's what you want to do - you don't just have to do 'A' levels to get into Uni! You don't always have to go to Uni to get a good job either - good employers recognise hard work, positive attitude and commitment, not just qualifications and will send you on courses to develop your skills to help you progress at work - and you can earn some money at the same time!

Useful Links...


Leicester College:

Loughborough College:

South Leicestershire College:

Brooksby Melton College:

Stephenson College:

North Warwickshire and Hinckley College:

For help with key facts about jobs, action plan, skills check, CV builder contact:

The National Careers Service:

For general information about education for looked after children:

Department for Education: