This Act made a few changes (also called amendments) and additions to the Children Act 1989. Here are the most important ones.

Moving Placement

You must NOT be moved to a new placement without a Review chaired by an IRO which decides that you are ready for the move and the new placement will meet your needs.

As in everything your views, wishes and feelings need to be listened to and taken into account.

Higher Education Bursary

Local Authorities have to give you a bursary of £2000 if you are going to do a higher education course which will last 2 years or more.

If you stay on your course then you never have to pay the money back. They can pay the bursary in a lump sum or in installments.

Care Leavers under 25

If you have left care, but decide to go back to education or training, then you can come back to the Local Authority and get the support of a Personal Adviser.

If you want to know more about this Act you can read the NCAS briefing paper here.